Maintenance of Discipline in the Hostel (Ordinance XV- B, C & The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013)
At the time of admission, every student shall be required to sign a declaration that she submits herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the V.C./ Director, South Campus, the Provost and other authorities of the University who may be vested with the authority to exercise discipline under the Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances including Ordinance XV – B and C and The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act 2013 (14 of 2013) – website http://wcd.nic.in/wcdactsex.pdf, and rules that have been framed by the University.
RAGGING IN ANY FORM IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE AND IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. ANY OCCURRENCE OF THE SAME SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY REPORTED TO THE PROCTORIAL COMMITTEE.
(SEE ORDINANCE XV – C)
ORDINANCE XV –B
- All power relating to discipline and disciplinary action are vested with the Vice–Chancellor.
- The Vice–Chancellor may delegate all or such powers as he/ she deems proper to the Proctor and to such other persons as he/ she may specify on his/ her behalf.
- Without prejudice to the generality of power to enforce discipline under the Ordinance, the following shall amount to acts of gross indiscipline.
- Physical assault, or threat to use physical force, against any member of the teaching and non-teaching staff of any institution /Department and against any student within the University of Delhi.
- Carrying of, use of, or threat of use of any weapons;
- Any violation of the provisions of the Civil Rights Protection act, 1976;
- Violation of the status, dignity and honour of the students belonging to the scheduled castes and tribes;
- Any practice, whether verbal or otherwise, derogatory to women;
- Any attempt at bribing or corruption in any manner;
- Wilful destruction of institutional properties;
- Creating ill-will or intolerance on religious or communal grounds;
- Causing disruption in any manner of the academic functioning of the University system;
- Ragging as per Ordinance XV-C.
- Without prejudice to the generality of his/ her power relating to the maintenance of discipline as may seem to him/ her appropriate, the Vice-Chancellor may exercise his/ her powers aforesaid, order or direct
- That any student or students be expelled, or
- Any student or students be, for a stated period, rusticated, or
- Be not for a stated period, admitted to a course or course of study in a college, Department or institution of the University, or
- Be fined with a sum of rupees that may be specified, or
- Be debarred from taking a University College or Departmental Examination or Examinations for one or more years, or
- That the result of the student or students concerned in the Examination or Examinations in which he/ she or they have appeared be cancelled.
- The Principals of the Colleges, Heads of the Halls, Deans of Faculties, Heads of Teaching Departments in the University, the Director, School of Open Learning, and Librarian shall have the authority to exercise all such disciplinary powers over students in their respective Colleges, Institutions, faculties and Teaching Departments in the University as may be necessary for the proper conduct of the Institutions, Halls, Hostels, Libraries and Teaching in the concerned Departments. They may exercise their authority through, or delegate authority to, such of the teachers in their Colleges, Institutions or Department as they may specify for the purpose.
- Without Prejudice to the powers of the Vice–Chancellor and the Proctor as aforesaid, detailed rules of discipline and proper conduct shall be framed. These rules may be supplemented, where necessary, by the Principals of Colleges, Heads of Halls, Dean of Faculties and Heads of Teaching Departments in this University. Each student shall be expected to provide himself/ herself with a copy of these rules.
- At the time of admission, every student shall be required to sign a declaration that on admission he/ she submits himself/ herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Vice-Chancellor and the several authorities of the University who may be vested with the authority to exercise discipline under the Acts, the Statutes, the Ordinances and the rules that have been framed thereunder by the University.
Prohibition of and Punishment for Ragging
The UGC has recently formulated very strict guidelines to curb the menace of ragging, which are available at their website www.ugc.in
- 1. Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited, within the premises of any College/ Department or institution and any part of Delhi University system, as well as on public transport.
- Any individual or collective act or practice of ragging constitutes gross indiscipline and shall be dealt with under this Ordinance.
- Ragging for the purposes of this Ordinance, ordinarily means any act, conduct or practice by which dominant power or status of senior students is brought to persons/ students freshly enrolled or students who are in any way considered junior or inferior by the other students and includes or collective acts or practices which
- Involve physical assault or threat or use of Physical Force;
- Violate the status, dignity and honour of women students;
- Violate the status, dignity and honour of students belonging to the scheduled castes and tribes;
- Expose students to ridicule and contempt and affect their self-esteem;
- Entail variable abuse and aggression, indecent gesture and obscene behaviour.
- The Principals of Colleges, Heads of Departments or Institutions, the authorities of a College, Provosts of University Hostels or Halls of Residence shall take immediate action on any information of the occurrence of ragging.
- Notwithstanding anything in Clause (4) above, the Proctor may suo moto enquire any incident of ragging and make a report to the Vice–Chancellor of the identity of those who have engaged in ragging and the nature of the incident.
- The Procter may also submit an initial report establishing the identity of the perpetrators of ragging and the nature of the ragging incident.
- If the Principal of a College or Head of the Department or Institution or the Proctor is satisfied that for some reason, to be recorded in writing, it is not reasonably practical to hold such an enquiry, he/ she may so advise the Vice-Chancellor accordingly.
- When the Vice-Chancellor is satisfied that it is not expedient to hold such an enquiry, his/ her decision shall be final.
- On receipt of a report under Clause (5) or (6) or a determination by the relevant authority under Clause (7) disclosing the occurrence of ragging incidents described in Clauses 3 (a), (b), (c), the Vice-Chancellor shall order or direct rustication of the student or students for a specific number of years.
- The Vice-Chancellor may in other cases of ragging order or direct that any student or students be expelled or be not for a stated period, admitted to a course of study in a college, Department examination for one or more years or that the results of the students concerned in the examination or examinations in which they appeared be cancelled.
- In case of the students who have obtained degrees or diplomas of Delhi University and are found guilty under this Ordinance, an appropriate action will be taken against them under Statute 15 for withdrawal of degrees or diploma conferred by the University.
- For the purpose of this Ordinance, abetment to ragging will also amount to ragging.
- All the institutions within the Delhi University system shall be obliged to carry out instruction/ directions issued under this Ordinance, and to give aid and assistance to the Vice-Chancellor to achieve the effective implementation of the Ordinance.
THE SEXUAL HARASSMENT OF WOMEN AT WORKPLACE (PREVENTION, PROHIBITION AND REDRESSAL) ACT, 2013 (14 OF 2013) – WEBSITE http://wcd.nic.in/wcdact/womenactsex.pdf
Note: Not withstanding any provision in the previous pages, the Provost of the Hostel is the final authority in all the matters.
The following undertakings can also be filled-in/ obtained from the below-mentioned websites: